A high-resolution update to the original fp, the Sigma Sigma fp L Digital Camera, Mount for Sigma is a compact and modular mirrorless camera featuring a new 61MP full-frame sensor, improved autofocus performance, and a versatile feature-set catering to both photography and cinematography applications.
Identical in the form to the first fp, and maintaining accessories compatibility, the fp L is small enough to disappear into a rig for filmmaking uses or serve as a highly portable option for travel photography. The improved sensor and focus greatly benefit photography use while also maintaining the same impressive video recording capabilities for a professional cinema workflow.
The new 61MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor suits high-resolution stills shooting and up to UHD 4K video recording with 12-bit raw output when recording externally. The BSI design of the sensor achieves low noise and offers a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor's design also now includes on-chip phase-detection autofocus, which greatly improves focusing speed and accuracy, especially when tracking moving subjects.
Beyond sensor upgrades, the fp L also introduces the ability to receive continuous power via USB-C to benefit extended recording times, such as when shooting time-lapses, extended clips, or when using the camera as a webcam. The sleek and minimal design of the camera body incorporates a rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD and the fp L is also compatible with the EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder; an optional auxiliary EVF for clear eye-level monitoring. A single SD card slot is available for internal file saving and the fp L also supports recording directly to USB-C-connected hard drives, benefitting raw video recording and other large file size recording applications.
61MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS SensorThe standout feature of the fp L is the high-resolution, full-frame 61MP BSI CMOS sensor featuring a Bayer-style color filter array. The increased resolution greatly benefits photography applications that rely on fine details and it also benefits video recording by improving sharpness through downsampling. The BSI design helps to achieve accurate colors, smooth tones, and reduced noise when working in difficult lighting conditions. The sensitivity range from ISO 100-25600 suits working in a variety of lighting conditions and the dual base ISO configuration further ensures clean results.
- Despite the use of a more conventional Bayer array sensor, Sigma has used their experience working with Foveon sensors to inform their decision to include a low-pass filter in the sensor design to help to suppress the moiré for accurate color rendering.
- Ultra-high resolution enables the Crop Zoom function, available for stills and video recording, which lets you crop into the image by up to 5x to simulate working with a longer focal length.
- Electronic shutter-only design helps to achieve a compact camera size and reduces the number of moving mechanical parts. This design results in quiet and shake-free shooting with a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec, however, only affords a top flash sync speed of 1/15 sec.
- Lossless compressed 14-bit raw stills are saved as DNG files for post-production flexibility.
- Continuous shooting at full resolution is supported at up to 10 fps.
- Various aspect ratios, ranging from the standard 3:2 to more unique 21:9, 7:6, and 2:1 ratios, can be used in the camera for help previsualize different output ratios.
Hybrid Autofocus SystemIn addition to the heightened resolution, the updated sensor also incorporates phase-detection autofocus support to enable an intelligent hybrid AF system. Using both contrast-detection and phase-detection focusing methods, the fp L has greatly improved focusing speeds and accuracy in various lighting conditions, and can also more efficiently track moving subjects. This focusing system is accurate down to -5 EV and has 42 selectable points that can be changed via the touchscreen interface.
UHD 4K Video, 12-Bit Raw OutputMaintaining the same impressive video performance from the original fp, the fp L is still a strong contender for cinematic use due to its versatility in recording methods and raw recording output. Offering UHD 4K up to 30p and FHD 1080 up to 120p internally, or DCI 4K 24p output if recording externally, the fp L can record 8-bit CinemaDNG files to an SD card or output 12-bit CinemaDNG over USB-C or 12-bit raw over HDMI.
- Camera body has an internal stereo microphone, suitable for scratch audio recording, and a 3.5mm microphone port for working with an external mic. If working with the EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder, that accessory incorporates a 3.5mm headphone port for audio monitoring.
- Making the fp L a unique tool for filmmakers working with other cameras in production environments, the camera can be used with a Director's Viewfinder mode to simulate the shooting range, frame guide, and field of view of other cinema cameras. This feature has been updated with the fp L with wider camera compatibility, and now includes ARRI ARRICAM, ARRIFLEX, ALEXA LF, ALEXA Mini LF, ALEXA SXT, ALEXA Mini, AMIRA, ALEXA65, ALEXA XT; Sony VENICE; and RED MONSTRO 8K, HELIUM 8K, DRAGON 6K, EPIC MX 5K, GEMINI 5K, and KOMODO 6K camera options.
- For in-camera adjustment over color and tone, Color Modes can be applied and adjusted directly to footage. Two new Color Modes have been added with the fp L: Powder Blue and Duotone.
- Electronic image stabilization helps to reduce camera shake when recording video.
- Camera movement control is compatible with select gimbal models.
- The fp L can be used as a webcam by simply plugging the camera into a computer via USB-C to send both video and audio signals to the computer.
- Integrated Cinemagraph function for producing unique hybrid images that blend the movement of video with a still image.
- Support for still capture during live view and movie shooting in Cine mode, as well as the ability to pull still frames from CinemaDNG and MOV movie files.
Modular Camera DesignOne of the key features of the fp series of cameras is the compact and minimal design that contributes to its modular ethos. Intentionally designed without a grip, without a viewfinder, and even without a hot shoe, the fp L can be built up using accessories to fit into a variety of specific production needs.
- Compatible with accessory hand grips, viewfinders, plates, and a hot shoe unit to create a camera form factor that suits a variety of intended uses. The plain rectangular camera body shape also promotes easier compatibility with third-party cages and other rigging accessories.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- USB Type-C port supports continuous power, and in-camera battery charging, via an accessory power bank for extended shooting times, time-lapse recording, or other instances when longer battery life is required.
- Included BP-51 lithium-ion battery pack provides approximately 240 shots per charge.
- HDMI Type-D and 3.5mm microphone ports are also integrated in the body's design.
- Integrated 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive handling.
- Compatible with optional EVF-11 Electronic viewfinder, which attaches to the left side of the camera body, for eye-level monitoring.
- Intuitive top switch for changing between CINE and STILL menu and user interface modes to suit different recording methods.
- Benefitting working with multiple fp L cameras, custom settings can be saved and shared to other bodies via a QR code. Also, screenshots can be taken of the rear LCD and saved for review.
- The body features three 1/4"-20 threaded mounts—two on the sides and one on the bottom—for connecting accessory grips, viewfinders, and even the camera strap, as well as the bottom mount for attaching the camera to a tripod or other mount.
- Included HU-11 Hot Shoe Unit for external flash use or for working with other shoe-mounted accessories.
- Large heat sink between LCD and camera body helps to efficiently dissipate heat and promote longer continuous recording times.
- Dust- and splash-resistant body design promotes working in inclement weather conditions.
- 61MP Full-Frame BSI Bayer CMOS Sensor
- UHD 4K30p Video with 12-Bit CinemaDNG
- Hybrid Phase- and Contrast-Detection AF
- 3.15" 2.1m-Dot Touchscreen LCD
- Up to 10 fps Shooting, ISO 100-25600
- Continuous Power via USB-C
- Director's Viewfinder Function
- Crop Zoom Mode and Updated Color Modes
- SD Card Slot, USB-C Drive Support
- Compatible with EVF-11 Viewfinder
Brand Sigma Manufacture SKU C44900 UPC 085126939038 Battery Type 1 x BP-51 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1200 mAh (Approx. 240 Shots) Tripod Mounting Thread 1 x 1/4"-20 Female (Bottom)
2 x 1/4"-20 Female (Side)
Material of Construction Aluminum Dimensions (W x H x D) 4.4 x 2.8 x 1.8" / 112.6 x 69.9 x 45.3 mm Weight 15.1 oz / 427 g (With Battery, Recording Media)
13.2 oz / 375 g (Body Only)
Lens Mount Leica L Sensor Resolution Actual: 62.4 Megapixel
Effective: 61 Megapixel (9520 x 6328)
Sensor Type 36 x 24 mm (Full-Frame) CMOS Image Stabilization Digital (Video Only) Built-In ND Filter None Capture Type Stills & Video
Shutter Type Electronic Shutter Shutter Speed Electronic Shutter
1/8000 to 30 Seconds
Up to 300 Seconds in Bulb Mode
Bulb/Time Mode Bulb Mode ISO Sensitivity 100 to 25,600 in Auto Mode (Extended: 6 to 102,400) Metering Method Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Spot Exposure Modes Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority Exposure Compensation -5 to +5 EV (1/3 EV Steps) Metering Range -5 to 18 EV White Balance Presets: Auto, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Overcast, Shade Continuous Shooting Electronic Shutter
Up to 10 fps at 61 MP for up to 12 Frames (Raw) / 14 Frames (JPEG)
Interval Recording Yes Self-Timer 2/10-Second Delay
Still Image Capture
Image Sizes 16:9 JPEG
9520 x 5382
6240 x 3512
4768 x 2680
3840 x 2160
1920 x 1080
9520 x 6328
6240 x 4144
4768 x 3168
3840 x 2552
1920 x 1280
8432 x 6328
5520 x 4144
4224 x 3168
3408 x 2552
1696 x 1280
6328 x 6328
4144 x 4144
3168 x 3168
2552 x 2552
1280 x 1280
Aspect Ratio 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, 4:3, 7:6, 16:9, 21:9 Image File Format DNG, JPEG Bit Depth 14-Bit
Internal Video Capture
Raw Recording Raw 12-Bit
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/48/50/59.94 fps
3840 x 2160 at 23.98/24.00/25 fps
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/48/50/59.94/100/119.88 fps
Recording Modes H.264/MOV 4:2:2 8-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/48.00p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p
Recording Limit Up to 120 Minutes for UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) Video System NTSC/PAL Built-In Microphone Type Stereo Audio Recording 2-Channel 16-Bit 48 kHz LPCM Audio
External Video Capture
Raw Output HDMI In Raw Mode:
4096 x 2160 12-Bit at 24.00 fps
3840 x 2160 12-Bit at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97 fps
1920 x 1080 12-Bit at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/119.88 fps
External Recording Modes 4:2:2 8-Bit via HDMI
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p
IP Streaming None
Media/Memory Card Slot Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II) Video I/O 1 x Micro-HDMI Output Audio I/O 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Microphone Input Other I/O 1 x USB Type-C (USB 3.2 / 3.1 Gen 1) Data Input/Output (Shared with Power Input)
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Control Input (Shared with Mic/Line Input)
Power I/O 1 x USB Type-C Input/Output Wireless None Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.) None
Size 3.15" Resolution 2,100,000 Dot Display Type Fixed Touchscreen LCD
Focus Type Auto and Manual Focus Focus Mode Continuous-Servo AF, Manual Focus, Single-Servo AF Autofocus Points Phase Detection: 49 Autofocus Sensitivity -5 to +18 EV
Built-In Flash No Flash Modes Manual, Rear Sync, Slow Sync, Slow Sync/Red-Eye Reduction, TTL Auto Maximum Sync Speed 1/15 Second Flash Compensation -3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps) Dedicated Flash System S-TTL External Flash Connection Hot Shoe
Operating Temperature 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C Operating Humidity 0 to 85%