A super wide rectilinear lens for Micro Four Thirds, the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT (Standard Black) MFT is a compact and versatile prime that is well-suited to astrophotography and other wide-angle subjects. Beyond its small form factor, this lens also features a notable optical design that incorporates two aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion elements to control distortion and aberrations for improved clarity and sharpness. A Frog Eye Coating has also been applied to the front element to guard against water and dust, and the lens's manual focus design permits working with subjects as close as 4.7" away.
Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT (Standard Black) MFT Highlights
- Ultra wide-angle prime is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and provides a 15mm equivalent focal length based on a 35mm full-frame format.
- Bright f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in dark and difficult lighting conditions.
- Rectilinear design renders scenes with straight vertical lines and minimal distortion for a more realistic portrayal.
- Two aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion elements are featured to minimize spherical and chromatic aberrations for sharper, clearer, and more color-accurate imagery.
- Frog Eye Coating has been applied to the front element to help repel water and dust.
- Manual focus design permits working with subjects as close as 4.7" away.
- Accepts 46mm screw-in filters and a petal-shaped lens hood is also included.
The build quality of the Laowa lens is very good. The lens body is made of metal down to the lens mount. It is a fully manual lens thus you have to live with manual focusing, a manual aperture, and in fact without any electronic coupling (thus also no EXIF data). The tiny focus ring is a bit stiff although this doesn't impose any obstacles. The aperture ring operates in full clicks (f-stops). The detachable (metal-) lens hood is so tiny that you may actually leave it mounted all the time. However, it is an obstacle to removing the lens cap when the hood is in place. Unlike the two mentioned zoom lenses, it is also possible to use (46mm) filters.
Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT (Standard Black) MFT Features
- Micro Four Thirds System
- 15mm (35mm Format Equiv.)
- Aperture Range: f/2 to f/22
- Rectilinear Lens Design
- Two Aspherical and Three ED Elements
- Frog Eye Coating
- Manual Focus Design
- Seven-Blade Diaphragm
Brand Laowa Manufacture SKU VE7520MFTSTBLK UPC 6940486700282 Focal Length 7.5mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 15mm) Maximum Aperture f/2 Minimum Aperture f/22 Lens Mount Micro Four Thirds Lens Format Coverage Micro Four Thirds Angle of View 110° Minimum Focus Distance 4.72" / 12 cm Maximum Magnification 0.11x Optical Design 13 Elements in 9 Groups Diaphragm Blades 7 Focus Type Manual Focus Image Stabilization No Filter Size 46 mm (Front) Dimensions (ø x L) 1.97 x 2.17" / 50 x 55 mm Weight 6 oz / 170 g
Package Weight 0.645 lb Box Dimensions (LxWxH) 3.85 x 3.8 x 3.45"